Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy is an autonomous body supported by Govt. of Kerala to promote Art and Culture of Kerala . The academy is headquartered at Thrissur, the cultural capital of Kerala and is headed by Mr. Soorya Krishna Moorthy. G Sankara Pillai Cultural Complex, the latest chapter by Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy dedicated to art and artists of Kerala was inaugurated on 18 January 2014 at Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy, Thrissur. The cultural complex has eleven stages of different volume and capacity named in memory of the legendary artists of Kerala.
|Actor Murali Outdoor Theatre|
|MLA Therambil Ramakrishnan Inaugurating a stage|
The stages and rehearsal spaces of G Sankara Pillai Cultural Complex are as follows.
· K T Muhammed Regional Theatre, in the name of K T Muhammed, a Malayalam playwright and screenwriter.
· Thoppil Bhasi Natyagriham remembering Thoppil Bhasi, a playwright and a director - script writer of Malayalam films.
· Actor Mural Outdoor Theatre, in memory of actor Murali who is also an author of some books in Malayalam.
· V Dakshina Moorthy Udyanam(Garden), remembering the veteran carnatic musician and music director of films.
· N N Pillai Open Air Theatre, named in memory of N N Pillai, an actor, playwright and theatre director.
The rehearsal spaces which were inaugurated on the same day are located in different places in Kerala.
· Kalamandalam Kalyanikutty Amma Hall, remembering the mother of Mohiniyattam, the classical dance form of Kerala. The hall is situated at Eranakulam.
· Prof. S Guptan Nair Hall, named in memory of the critic, scholar and educationist, Prof S Guptan Nair. The rehearsal hall is at Thrissur, the cultural capital of the state.
Some other stages inaugurated in the name of legends are
· Prem Nazir Open Air Cinema Theatre, in memory of the legendry Malayalam film actor, Prem Nazir.
· T N Gopinathan Nair Avenue; T N Gopinathan Nair is a well known writer in Malayalam.
· Peruvanam Narayana Marar Melathara; Peruvanam Narayana Marar, the great chenda(the percussion instrument) artists and grandfather of Peruvanam Kuttan Marar.
· C N Sreekandan Nair Guest House; C N Sreekandan Nair is a Malayalam playwright.
· N Krishna Pillai Avenue; in memory of the renowned Malayalam critic and dramatist.
- O Madhavan Nair Vanajyotsna Theatre, in the name of O Madhavan Nair, the famous theatre personnel.
· Premji Media Centre; remembering Premji, the social reformer and cultural leader.
· Vaikom Chandrasekharan Nair Seminar Hall; named in memory of the writer and journalist.
· Jos Chirammel Square; Jos Chirammel is a theatre person who had played key roles in many theatre plays.
· Chembai Museum and Archie; in memory of the legend in Carnatic Music.
· Surasu Square; Surasu is a talented Playwright, actor and scriptwriter from Kerala.
· M R B Library
Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy is a platform that encourages and preserves various art forms of Kerala. The academy conducts various programs and events related to arts within and outside Kerala. The stages and rehearsal spaces of Keraka Sangeetha Nataka Acdemy are meant to support the art and artists, especially from Kerala. The outdoor theatre in the name of late actor Murali, is a main venue of IToFK 2014, the International theatre festival, scheduled from 27th January to 03rd February 2014.